10/30/09

WPF: Boo!

First, thank you so much for sending questions. I love you all—but especially one of you who sent me a "book" of questions. I'll answer timely/urgent ones first, then answer the rest in the order they were received and/or the order I feel like answering them. So check back daily. You never know when I'll answer yours. :)

Remember a few weeks ago when our writing prompt was to describe a fantasy character using mundane details? Well, this one is similar.

Write a horror story or scene using every day items, people, props. No vampires or werewolves or other fantastical creatures, but you may use ghosts. Create the creepiness with your descriptions of common items, not with the unusual.

This is how Frankenstein by Mary Shelley was born. She, Percy Shelley, Lord Byron and some others challenged each other to write "ghost" stories. Maybe today's little challenge will spark a classic from you.

P.S. My NaNoWriMo name is LDSPublisher. Please come be my buddy.

P.P.S.: Is the NaNo site always incredibly slow? Or is it just because everyone is signing up at the last minute? I started to add Buddies and it's taking for.ev.er.

5 comments:

Moriah Jovan said...

This is how Frankenstein by Mary Shelley was born. She, Percy Shelley, Lord Byron and some others challenged each other to write "ghost" stories. Maybe today's little challenge will spark a classic from you.

While they were up to their eyeballs in opium.

Th. said...

.

I love opium! And it's not in the Word of Wisdom!

But really, Moriah --- are you accusing all horror writers of being coked while they work. Because I assure you I live opium-free --- even when the stories turn scary.

Moriah Jovan said...

are you accusing all horror writers of being coked while they work

Well, that was a hel-- heck of a stretch, right there.

I'm a bad influence on you. Now you're seeing inferences where there are none.

And, um, after that Leprechaun story, I'm TERRIFIED of how you'd write on opium.

(Better writing through chemistry!)

Anonymous said...

Love that nod to Sandlot. You're awesome.

JANICE said...

When you have time .I would be grateful if you would read my blog,
I have a story I need to tell.
Thank you for your time
Janice
http://janmrp.blogspot.com/