6/11/08

Where Do I Find an LDS Editor?

I have recently completed my first fiction novel. I have looked at the entries in your blog under editing, and the second posting talks about the how and why of editing, but not the where. Would you mind sending me a link or two of where I might find a good (free or paid) LDS editor? I would like to get the manuscript in a nice, clean state before submitting it to LDS publishers. I had thought of just finding an editor of any kind, but I would prefer somebody who understands LDS doctrine pretty well because of the content of the book.
I am really happy to see that you recognize the need for an editor. All authors should have their mss edited by someone with experience before they submit.

Free editing can often be found through writers groups. Sometimes you can trade editing with another member of the group who has some professional experience.

While I know of several excellent LDS editors who do freelance work, I do not feel comfortable recommending any in this type of forum. However, I'm happy to let them recommend themselves. If any readers offer freelance editing services, please post contact information or links to your blogs or websites in the comments section.

5 comments:

Heather Moore said...

I manage an editing company called Precision Editing Group, LLC. We offer free editing on your first 10pages. That gives you a chance to check us out and us a chance to see what writing level you are on. More info on our website: www.precisioneditinggroup.com

Danyelle Ferguson said...

I offer freelance editing as well. I've worked with LDS authors Tristi Pinkston and James Dashner. You can find out more info at www.FergusonAuthors.com

Jennie said...

The lack of a good editor is the saddest problem I see in LDS fiction. I read many books that show the author can write and the premise behind the story is good, but the poor editing ruins the story. Sometimes even a good writer doesn't see where a scene needs to be moved to another place in the manuscript or even omitted or he/she may be so close to the story it is impossible to see where a scene needs to be added or strengthened. Most of us are blind to our own pet phrases and concepts and it takes a neutral editor to point out our weaknesses. As writers we need to get past thinking of an editor as a judge or the enemy. He/she wants our books to be the very best just as we do. I've never read or written a manuscript that couldn't be improved. Fortunately, I've mostly had excellent editors to work with. It's true, though, that not all editors are created equal. And when we get the occasional editor who is a frustrated writer bent on rewriting our work until it is more his/hers than the writers, then is the time to take a stand and show your faith in your own ability. Whether working with a prepub editor or a publishing house editor, it's important to find a good fit, someone you can work with comfortably and whose body of work you respect.

Unknown said...

Heather's editing group is awesome and Danyelle is great too! As LDSpub suggested, it's wonderful to be part of a critique group to get free editing and moral support.
I also offer freelance editing. I have edited 13 books to date which have been published plus many others which are on their way.
Stop by my blog and leave me a comment if you'd like more info.
www.rachellewrites.blogspot.com

Josi said...

I edit through Heather's company, Precision Editing Group, and never send in a manuscript that has not been edited by at least one person. A great way to find editors is to become one, find other authors that would like to trade manuscripts. Reading someone else's work allows you to understand what objectivity is. It will improve your own work when you learn to see a manuscript critically, and it will help you build a network of other writers. The trick is making sure you find another author that can give you the feedback you need. For that reason, finding someone with experience and credentials can be a very helpful investment and seeing what they find in your work will help you learn from your own weaknesses and strengthen them later on. In addition to the free 10 pages, PEG also does a blog www.writingonthewall.blogspot.com where they offer editing/writing tips. Best of luck.