12/15/06

You're Kidding Me, Right?

Actual conversation after query and partial had been submitted and a full requested.

Author: So you're saying you want to see the entire manuscript with the idea of publishing it in the spring?

Publisher: Yes. I think it would be great to release it in early March so it will be available for conference sales.

Author: Oh, well, I'm not sure I can have it ready by then. I've only written the first three chapters and I just have an outline of the rest of the story. In fact, I'm rethinking the ending so it might take me a while to finish it. I'm really busy right now. Maybe I can have it to you by fall...oh, wait, I'm going to Europe this next summer so fall won't work for me...

Publisher: Never mind. I'm not really interested, after all.


Moral of the story: FINISH YOUR MANUSCRIPT BEFORE YOU SEND A QUERY!



[P.S. This type of post is just one of the reasons why I am anonymous. If you knew I was Edith Editor at XYZ Publishing, I would never be able to tell you about these types of events. But because I'm anonymous, the Author stays anonymous too and can therefore be an example to everyone of what not to do. And to further the anonymity of the Author, this conversation did not happen this week or even this month. I've been saving it so that no one would be able to figure out who the poor clueless author is.]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable.
If you hadn't told us it was an actual conversation, I wouldn't believe it. it's good advice to have it done before you send an inquiry.

W.L.Elliott said...

DITTO!
Even if I didn't have my manuscript done, I'd break my back and or fingers getting it finished in time! Why on earth would anyone fudge the opportunity? ARGH!
:^>

Anonymous said...

Hey...I'm not going to England. :)

Anonymous said...

And I'll bet you'll be hesitant to ever accept another query from this person.

I can't believe this actually still happens with all of the advice and information out there telling us not to do this kind of thing. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Believe me, if I had an editor tell me they wanted to do a March release, I'd be planting myself in the chair until it was done. You all do realize how rare it is for an editor to make that kind of offer? And how acceptances are becoming harder and harder to get as the competition gets stiffer? Europe will still be there later on!

Anonymous said...

Those of you that said you'd be SURE to get it done by March may have missed the point. She said DON'T query or submit until it's completely finished. How good can anyone expect the book to be if they are suddenly forced to finish it in a time crunch? Especially if you've never written a whole novel before.