7/5/07

Phone, E-mail or Snail Mail

If you decide to publish a manuscript, do you email, snail mail, or call with an acceptance?

If you decide to reject it, is it always with a form letter?

Does it depend on the manuscript? Does every publisher do it differently?

I always call with an acceptance. If I can't reach the author by phone, I will e-mail or snail mail, in that order.

Rejections are always with a form letter, although sometimes I will add commentary if I have the time and the inclination. If an author gives me their e-mail, that's how I send the rejection. If not, then snail mail.

I do all manuscripts the same. I suppose some publishers will differ, but most of the ones I know call with acceptance. I don't know anyone who has the time to call with rejections.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had personal phone calls for rejections (long phone calls with notes), I've had email and snail mail acceptances, I've had email and snail mail rejections. I've just gotten a contract in the mail with no previous acceptance. I've never had a personal phone call for an acceptance.

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule?

Tristi Pinkston said...

How cool that would be to pick up the phone and see "LDS Publisher" on the caller ID and know that you're getting an acceptance. :)

Now I'm trying to remember how I got mine - I think it was by phone.

Rebecca Talley said...

Hmmm . . .I got the same above post on my blog. Spam?

Tristi Pinkston said...

Yep -- you can hit the garbage can icon on your blog and delete it. I did. :)