9/10/07

Marketing Plan for Writers

Could you tell me what's included in a marketing plan? Is there a particular format? How can I learn how to put together an effective marketing plan? When is the best time to present it to the publisher?

Thanks. (PS Cedar Fort will publish my YA LDS novel in spring 2008--woo hoo!)

I've received marketing plans in all sorts of formats--from highly detailed and complex business proposals (overkill) to a simple numbered list. I don't have a preference--as long as I can understand the concepts and it doesn't take longer to read than your manuscript. (You're a writer; write clearly.)

Some publishers may have instructions on their websites.

Here are a few quick link for ideas. I am not endorsing these sites or the products offered on them, and I'm not sure how helpful each one actually is. I did a quick google on "marketing plans for writers" and skimmed the first few. I'm sure there are others that I've missed but this will give you a place to start. If readers know of some good sites or other sources, please post them in the comments section.

http://www.writerswrite.com/selfpublishing/hollowell.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Writers-Need-A-Marketing-Plan-Too&id=118526

http://marketing-plans.suite101.com/writers.cfm

(P.S. Good for you! Feel free to identify yourself in the comments section,)

7 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

Thanks, LDSP, for answering my questions. I'll look up those links.

Cedar Fort will be publishing my LDS YA novel, "Heaven Scent" (tentative title), in March 2008 so I need to get a marketing plan together and do as much promotion as I can.

Thanks for all of your advice, tips, and insights on your blog, LDSP, you've helped me a great deal! And, I won't have to be a brain surgeon after all, which is good because the sight of blood makes me pass out.

Anonymous said...

A book that may be helpful is The Frugal Book Promoter: How to Do What Your Publisher Won't by Carolyn Howard-Johnson. She has the contents listed on her web site. (She is LDS, by the way.)

Unknown said...

Marketing is so critical to the success of your book. Those are good links, http://fictionaddiction.net/ is also a great one for every aspect of writing, publishing and marketing a book.

Rebecca Talley said...

Thanks, Candace. That's a great site filled with an enormous amount of info.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you, Rebecca! I can't wait to read your book. I am so happy for you!

Patricia

Rebecca Talley said...

Thank you, Patricia.

Unknown said...

Also, there is a great article today on http://chipmacgregor.typepad.com/main/ that talks about this. It's titled, "What should you do if your publisher doesn't have adequate resources for marketing and promotion?"

I find blogging a good marketing tool, and my recent contest ("Spotlight the Youth") brought thousands of hits.

Good luck!