My first novel was just released and I'd like to get some buzz going (my publisher doesn't do much) but I don't know where to start? Any ideas? Can you give me some step-by-step suggestions?
If I had a new novel coming out, I'd start with the free/cheap stuff first. I also would have started a few months ago, but that's okay. You can still do all these things now.
- Set up a blog or website with info about yourself and your book.
(Good examples: Josi S. Kilpack [love the visually attractive details on her books; her site probably cost money, but you can do similar things with content for cheap] and the "Crusty Old Broads" who wrote The Company of Good Women series [good info on books, authors & upcoming events, visually attractive] )
- Contact bloggers who do book reviews and ask them if they'd be part of your virtual book tour. (Good example: Stacy Anderson's Life Is Tough Tour)
- Use the LDS Publisher sites to their full advantage. Take a look at what I do here and send me the needed info:
—Send me info about your book, so I can post it HERE.
—Send me info about yourself, so I can post it HERE.
—Send me a review copy so one of my reviewers can post it HERE.
—If you have book signings or other appearances set up, send me the info so I can post it HERE.
—Offer to sponsor either the LDS Publisher blog or the LDS Fiction/Fiction Review blogs.
—Start commenting on the blogs to get your name recognized (if you have a Blogger blog, your comments will auto link back to your profile, where you will have links to your website and/or blog about your book.)
- Do the same things above at other sites and forums that allow it.
- Offer to speak at schools, book clubs, libraries, etc. on a topic related to your book.
- Tell everyone you know how excited you are about your new book.
- Hold a contest on your blog/website with your book as a prize. (Good examples: Tristi Pinkston's Agent in Old Lace contest and Joyce DiPastena & Friends Summer Treasure Hunt Contest)
Now for the things that cost a little more money.
- Make business cards with the cover of your book on one side and your contact info on the other (including your website/blog URLs).
- Make postcards with the same info and send them out to announce book signings and other events. Be sure to include URLs to where the book can be purchased online.