7/10/09

Fatuous Friday: What I Do All Day

You say you've gone into semi-retirement. What exactly does that mean? What is your basic day like now?


I wake up around noon. Watch TV all day. Eat bon bons. Around 7:00 p.m., I eat some fast food, then get all spiffied up and hit the local dance bars until 2:00 a.m. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Oh, wait. That was college.

I basically do the same thing as I did before, but freelance and on a project by project basis. A publisher will call me up and ask if I'm interested in managing a project. If I have the time and the interest, I take it on. If I hate the book or need a break, I pass.

I take the project from manuscript submission to press ready—sometimes doing the work myself, sometimes outsourcing it to other contacts. I do the same thing for self-publishers.

I mostly work from home, rather than at an office, although sometimes I'll go onsite for a project. Just depends on the needs of the project.

I don't really have a basic day. It changes depending on the project. If I'm not too busy, I get caught up here on these LDSP sites. If I miss posting here, or post late in the day, it's usually because I've got a deadline I'm rushing to meet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are some of the projects you've worked on. No worries. It won't blow your cover. Only the author's name goes on the cover, right?

LDS_Publisher said...

Actually, yes it will blow my cover. Because the publisher will know. And possibly the author. And some of them give me credit in the acknowledgments, or on the copyright page. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I think you're just being humble. You don't want anyone to know you did Tom Sawyer, War and Peace, and Gone With the Wind.

LDS_Publisher said...

Hey! I'm old but not that old!

Anonymous said...

Not old. Experienced.