8/27/09

Writing-Related Jobs

I'm beginning to doubt my chops as a writer. These days I'm pretty certain I'll never make it, especially as an LDS author. I'll probably never give up writing--it's too much a part of who I am--but I'm beginning to wonder if my zeal for language and for LDS literature wouldn't be better-channeled in a different direction. Why do we all want to be authors? (Oh wait, I know the answer to that one. The writing is the fun part!) Are there other writing related jobs out there in the LDS market? If so what are those jobs and do any of them actually pay? Can I work for you?

Can you work for me? Only if you work for free and give me all the credit. I'm freelance now so I don't have employees, but you can do what I do or have done in the past. Here's a quick list of some of the writing-related things I've done. Whether or not there are positions available in the LDS market is something you'll have to research.

  • Technical Writing: User manuals and corporate newsletters are often outsourced by companies. You have to be able to write in a clear, concise way—and very fast.
  • Internet: I write website/blog content for various sites, mostly anonymously. Corporations pay better than individuals but you have make the connections and have a portfolio to convince them you're worth the expense.
  • Editing or Proofreading: This requires a specific skill set. If you have it, you can usually pick up some work.
  • Fact Checking: You do research for other writers and sometimes they let you help write.
  • Marketing and PR Work: If you're good at putting a positive spin on things, this is an idea. I once had a job where I had to write blurbs for product catalogs.
  • Hobbies: If you have an interest or hobby, look around for magazines that specialize in that area.

I'm sure there are others. Be creative.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but there is a great website, Funds for Writers by C. Hope Clark. She has lots of info on writing markets and jobs and contests. She also has two newsletters: Funds for Writers and FFW Small Markets. I subscribe to both.

2 comments:

Abel Keogh said...

Two thoughts:

1. Technical writing jobs generally involve knowing programs like FrameMaker or RoboHelp. Without at least one of the two, it’s VERY hard to land a technical writing job. (I say this as someone with four years of technical writing experience.)

2. Unless it’s an entry-level position, marking and PR jobs generally require a portfolio of work and proven track record of delivering. A good way to break into these fields and get some experience is an internship.

Writing a Research Paper said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset